What do Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor have in common with GM and muscle cars? Here’s a hint: even a car manufacturer can find itself in an on-again, off-again romance. The good news for car lovers is that GM’s love affair with muscle cars is back on, and in a big way. After a 17-year hiatus from rear-wheel drive performance sedans, GM has returned the power game with the 2014 Chevy SS.
The name SS has history with muscle car enthusiasts. Short for Super Sport, SS was Chevy’s high performance option package, first available on the ’61 Impala. If you wanted a real Impala, you had the SS. And so it seems GM is using the SS name now as a bold statement about what to expect from this new vehicle.
The four-door Corvette
Mark Reuss, president of General Motors North America, has described the 2014 Chevy SS as “a four-door Corvette.” He’s not joking around, either. The SS literally has a Corvette engine under the hood. It’s a 6.2-liter V8 that produces 415 horsepower and 415 lb-ft of torque, capable of powering the SS from 0 to 60 mph in about 5 seconds. To get a taste of how quick that is, close your eyes and count to five. You just hit 60.
Certainly the SS will be fast, but it’s expected to be pretty comfortable too. Standard features will include:
- 42 inches of legroom in the front and 39 inches of legroom in the back
- Leather upholstery
- Bose audio system with nine speakers and color display on windshield
- Eight-way power front bucket seats
- Ambient lighting
- Six-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters on the steering wheel
- Push-button start
- Lane departure warning
- Side blind zone alert
- Brembo 4-piston brakes
Who will drive the Chevy SS
Officially, the SS will compete with the Dodge Charger R/T and SRT8. Unofficially, you might consider the SS if:
- You’ve always wanted a Corvette, but couldn’t figure out how to get the kids to school in it.
- You need a big car, but minivans, SUVs and crossovers aren’t edgy enough for you.
- The Pontiac G8 of the ‘90s and the Chevy Caprice of the ‘70s are both on your list of all-time favorite cars.
- You like adventurous road trips, but your current daily driver doesn’t fit five adults comfortably.
In short, the SS is a big, comfy, powerful vehicle. That’s a nice combination of attributes, likely to appeal to different types of drivers. Look for the 2014 Chevy SS to hit showrooms in the fourth quarter of 2013.
Knudtsen Chevrolet is a great choice for the whole family, because the relationship doesn’t end when you drive away. Our Certified Service Center is a hub, brimming with information and discounts. We know one day you’ll have a technical or repair question you need answered before you bring your car in, so we’re always here to listen and help – just Ask a Tech! Knudtsen Chevrolet has been serving the Spokane and Post Falls communities since 1939, and remains family owned and operated until this very day.