Not only is Sunday, June 21 the official start of summer, it’s also the day that families around the world and across our great land will be celebrating Father’s Day 2015 by pampering dads big and tall and large and small with the deluxe VIP treatment. But here in the greater Spokane/North Idaho area, Father’s Day takes on special significance all its own. As the official Birthplace of Father’s Day, Spokane, the Spokane Valley and neighboring North Idaho is simply THE place to celebrate what your dad means to you.
As your hometown Chevrolet dealership in Post Falls, Idaho, we here at Knudtsen Chevrolet have put together a handy list of 12 delicious places in the Spokane/Coeur d’Alene area to give dad his day in the sun. But first, let’s take a nostalgic look back on how this annual day set aside just for dads came into being. It’s a story worth telling. Again and again.
Sonora Smart Dodd was just 16 years old when her mother died. The year was 1898. Her father, William Jackson Smart, was left to raise Sonora and her five siblings on a farm in eastern Washington. Naturally, Sonora missed her mother very much. But, wise beyond her years, she understood how important her father meant to her; especially now that her mother was gone. After all, he was raising six kids on his own now.
So it was on Mother’s Day in 1909 that Sonora was sitting in the pew with her family at the Central United Methodist Church listening to a sermon extolling the virtues of Mother’s Day. The sermon inspired her to consider a day that would honor fathers everywhere in the same equal manner that mothers were honored.
A year later, and with the assistance and encouragement of Rev. Dr. Conrad Bluhm, her pastor at the former Old Centenary Presbyterian Church in Spokane, (now Knox Presbyterian Church), Sonora approached the Spokane YMCA with her Father’s Day idea. The YMCA and local ministerial alliance liked Sonora’s idea and proposed the date of Sunday, June 19, 1910 as the first official Father’s Day. On that day, sermons were preached at churches throughout the area in honor of fathers.
It took some time for the idea to catch on, however. But in 1924, President Calvin Coolidge officially recognized Father’s Day as a national holiday. Subsequently, President Lyndon B. Johnson proclaimed the third Sunday in June as Father’s Day. President Nixon permanently established this date in 1972.
Sonora Smart Dodd was roundly applauded for starting the whole Father’s Day ball rolling. She was celebrated at both the 1940 New York World’s Fair, as well as during the 1974 World’s Fair Expo in Spokane. Today, a granite plaque honoring her achievement as the Mother of Father’s Day can be seen outside the Central Spokane YMCA where it all began.
12 Great places to take dad for Father’s Day:
- Mizuna, 214 N. Howard St., Spokane – Offering a menu of fresh, local ingredients, Mizuna presents a quality dining experience with bold flavors, great service, and unique pairings.
- Sante Restaurant & Charcuterie, 404 Main Ave. Spokane – An outstanding menu of French American cuisine and a lovely upscale ambiance will make this a special treat for that special dad.
- Herbal Essence Café, 115 N. Washington St., Spokane – Offering a quality menu of delicious American fare at reasonable prices makes this place a great Father’s Day dining choice.
- Gordy’s Sichuan Café, 501 E. 30th, Spokane – Arguably one of the best Chinese restaurants in town, Gordy’s will not disappoint if your dad’s in the mood for some authentic Chinese cuisine.
- Picabu Neighborhood Bistro, 901 W. 14th, Spokane – A terrific restaurant with a local flair that features works from local artists and delicious homemade menu items, including soups and salads.
- Wasabi Sushi, 10208 Division St., Spokane – Some call this the best sushi restaurant in the area with a nice décor and great sushi to match.
- Frank’s Diner, 1515 W. 2nd, Spokane – Give dad a truly unique dining experience this Father’s Day by enjoying Washington’s oldest dining car restaurant built from a restored 1906 railcar designed for the president of the Northern Pacific Railroad.
- Peacock Room Lounge, 10 S. Post St, Spokane – Located in the historic Davenport Hotel, the Peacock Room is one of Spokane’s most elegant and upscale establishments that will certainly make dad feel extra special on his special day.
- Chinook Steak, Pasta & Spirits – Coeur d’Alene Casino – This upscale restaurant at the Coeur d’Alene Casino offers a delicious menu of expertly prepared prime beef, handmade pasta and artisan-style pizza in a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- CdA Lake Cruises, 115 S. 2nd Coeur d’Alene – Why not give dad a special treat and take him for a sunset dinner cruise?
- Grille from Ipanema Brazilian Steakhouse, 601 E. Front Avenue, Coeur d’Alene – It’s all about the meat at this authentic Brazilian eatery overlooking the lake as servers carve a delicious selection of meats right at your table.
- The Cellar, 317 E. Sherman Ave., Coeur d’Alene – Featuring a world-class wine list, farm-fresh foods, and live music, The Cellar is a great choice for a memorable Father’s Day dining experience.
We’re Serving up Some Great Father’s Day Deals at Knudtsen Chevy
Give your dad the ultimate Father’s Day gift: An award-winning 2015 Chevy from your friends at Knudtsen Chevrolet. You’ll be surprised at just how easy it is to put dad behind the wheel of a new Chevy with special offers, dealer discounts, and manufacturer incentives on our huge inventory of new 2015 Chevy cars and trucks, like the 2015 Chevy Colorado, Motor Trend’s 2015 Truck of the Year. Or the ultimate American muscle car, the iconic 2015 Chevy Camaro. Stop by out dealership, conveniently located at 1900 E. Polston Ave. Post Falls, ID 83854. Or call 877-270-3220 to schedule a test drive. For our Service Dept., please call 877-310-0364.
Happy Father’s Day!